Today is my birthday! I was fortunate to be able to take the day off from work and have my parents and my friend Mark over for a sheep themed meal. A co-worker thought it was strange that I was making lunch for my own birthday. I was thrilled to have the opportunity to make and share a fun meal with people who are close to me.
Sheep in a Field Layered Rice
- Line a small ramekin with plastic wrap.
- Add a layer of hot Nishiki rice and press down.
- Add a small layer of cooked white beans and cut tomatoes cooked in some Vegetarian Broth with some added oregano.
- Add an additional layer of hot cooked rice and press down.
- Carefully lift the layered rice out of the ramekin and place on the serving plate.
- Add Basil Pesto (this happens to be homemade and Vegan) to the top of the rice.
- Cut a sheep out of Daikon (Japanese Radish) using a sheep cookie cutter.
- Cut lines in snow peas with a sharp knife.
- Cut butterflies out of carrot with a mini clay cutter.
- Arrange the daikon, carrot, and snow pea on top of the pesto. Pipe a thin layer of pesto around the layered rice.
Roasted Asparagus with Lemon Zest – roast asparagus with a little salt and olive oil at 425 for about 10 minutes or until tender. Add lemon zest after plating.
Roasted Cauliflower with Almond Aioli – Roast cauliflower with some olive oil and smoked paprika at 425 for about 20 minutes or until tender. Serve with Almond Aioli.
Baby Potato Chips – Slice baby potatoes with a mandoline slicer. Fry in vegetable oil.
My Critique of the Meal:
As usual I am more critical than my guests. I think that the sides were the most popular. I tried to recreate the cauliflower and almonds with baby potato chips that I had in Iceland at the Blue Lagoon Lava Restaurant. It was not exact but it was delicious.
Plating is something that I continue to strive to improve. My plates are not as precise as the planning sketch I drew but I like how I loaded the plates with flavor. If I put less food on the plates it would have looked prettier but then my guests would not have as much to enjoy. That said, it was a hearty lunch with the Sheep in the Field Layered Rice. I think my plates have a rustic look to them.
It was a memorable meal and I am thankful for the people who came and shared it with me.
Love the sheep theme!
Happy Birthday!!! Lunch was delicious