My niece had a Japanese themed birthday party for her 14th birthday party with family. The focus of the theme was nature (crane, maple leaf, cherry blossom, and bamboo). We planned an Americanized version of Japanese food because many of the party attendees are not adventurous eaters. The guests enjoyed the theme and food.
- Birthday banner in Japanese
- Cherry blossom branches
- Origami cranes
- Pictures of Japanese nature
- Chopstick rests – We modified this idea. Instead of scrap booking rub-ons I printed out clip-art (maple leaf, cherry blossom and bamboo) and then used Mod Podge.
- Origami Nature Centerpieces – We used origami paper and folded bamboo, maple leaf and standing crane. We cut out a cherry blossom shape. I made labels for each nature in Japanese and taped to each cup.We attached the nature item on a stick to the top of a cup.
Cherry Blossom Branches
Hanging Cranes, Photos of Japan, Cherry Blossoms
Chopsticks on Rest
Party Tables with Centerpieces
- Vegetable and cheese tray with rice crackers
- Almond crush pokey
- Wasabi dried peas
- Roasted seaweed
- Apple swans with caramel dip & cut apples
- Sushi (from Wegmans)
- Origami crane wontons
Vegetable Tray with Cheese and Rice Crackers
Close-up of Vegetables
Wasabi Peas in Paper Box
Wonton Origami Cranes
- Salad with mandarin oranges and Japanese salad dressing option
- Homemade vegetable gyoza
- Yaki Onigiri
- Teriyaki steak
- Sesame chicken
- Black bean and corn wonton cups
- Fruit and yogurt wonton cups
Black Bean and Corn Wonton Cups
Fruit and Yogurt Wonton Cups
- Dessert sushi
- Cherry cake
- Japanese flag cookies
Japanese Flag Cookies
14 questions about Japan. The winner was the first to get dessert.
It was a really fun celebration! The decorations and the food were excellent!
It looks great! I especially love the wonton cranes, I can’t wait to get my hands on some wrappers and give that a try! The cookies are really simple and effective too, so are the chopstick rests. All going on my list of things to try 🙂
What a great idea…I, too , loved the wonton cranes and esp. the apple swans.
I have not had dessert sushi, but I would love to;I like all sorts of sweet rice.
I enjoyed this.
OMG, love the cake. Nice work.
i love the cranes