I continue to experiment with edible backgrounds for my bentos. I make a lot of American food bentos because that is what my nieces and nephews will eat. Many of my bentos contain some type of sandwich. I love the look of a full Japanese bento but it is more difficult to obtain with a sandwich. My goal is a background that looks nice and the kid will eat.
Benefits of putting food backgrounds under a cute sandwich.
- Increases calories for a bento with a small cute sandwich (for older kids)
- Adds volume so less food shifting during travel
- Raises the fun factor
I have tried and would recommend the following backgrounds:
- celery (thinly sliced sticks)
- popcorn (air popped)
- snow peas
- spinach (raw)
- tortilla chips
- tortillas (I used flour)
I have tried and caution against using the following backgrounds:
- caramel popcorn (not as healthy, only as special treat)
- M&M’s (not as healthy, only as special treat)
- pistachios in a shell (takes time to eat and only safe for an older child)
If you have suggestions for sandwich backgrounds, please leave a comment.