I helped my sister-in-law with my nephews 10th birthday party. They have family birthday parties with a mix of adults (Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents) and children (siblings and cousins). My nephew enjoys playing card games so this was the perfect theme. My sister-in-law did a great job with creating food in the black/red/white theme. My niece and nephews helped with the decorations.
Click on the photos to enlarge.
- Garlands: my nephew punched holes in the cards and we strung them
- Centerpieces: Card cubes with card game set-ups. We used these wonderful directions. The birthday boy set-up the card games and I took photos. We created set-ups for Cribbage, Euchre, Go Fish, Poker, Rummy, Sequence, Solitaire, and Tripoley. Then I printed out two sets for each type and taped them to bamboo skewers. We stood them up in balls of clay.
- Tablecloths: black and red
- Plates: black and red
Garland and table
Another card garland
- Chips and Salsa: with rectangular (card shaped) chips
- Cheese and Crackers: Pepper Jack and Cheddar cheese with playing card picks (I copied actual playing cards at 50% – printed out two sets, then taped them to toothpicks)
- Black and Red fruit tray: strawberries, watermelon, blueberries, blackberries, and black grapes
- Red, Black and White vegetable tray: mushrooms, red pepper, cherry tomatoes, and black olives
Cheese and crackers with playing card picks
I created playing card labels. I used 10’s because it was my nephews 10th birthday. I printed the labels on card stock and taped to skewers. Click here for free playing card food labels. (pictured below)
- Stack the Deck Sandwiches: marble bread and rolls with assorted cheeses and meats
- Pinnacle Pasta: Greek Macaroni Salad
- Red Suit Salad: I made hearts and diamond croutons using these directions. I also added sliced radish, sliced red pepper, heart and diamond shaped red pepper and cucumber to the lettuce.
- Bridge Broccoli Salad
- Joker Jigglers
- Game of Hearts Snack Mix: homemade chex mix with honey and butter, pretzels, red M&M’s, peanuts, and raisins
Left side of buffet
Right side of buffet
My niece created a cute label for the root beer bottle.
- Queen of Hearts Punch: lemonade, cranberry juice, and ginger ale
- King of Spades Ale: root beer
Queen of Hearts Punch and the front of King of Spades Ale
Queen of Hearts Punch and the back of King of Spades Ale
- 10 of Hearts Cake: Chocolate cake with shortening frosting (shortening, confectionery sugar, milk, and vanilla)
- Trump Tarts: Tiny Cherry Cheesecakes
- Ice cream with chocolate or red sprinkles