I enjoy planning and implementing themed meals. This year I decided to create a Santa Claus themed meal a few days before Christmas. The dinner party was for 5 adults.
- Individual Santa Bread: I found this image and tried to replicate it. The dough is from a traditional dinner roll recipe with egg, milk, and butter. I researched and though a lot about what to use for “white paste”. I decided not to use a bean paste. Instead I tried the paste used for hot cross buns. I used the paste from this. Next time I will try to make the paste thicker. I brushed the bread with milk before baking.
- Mushroom Soup: This is a family favorite from Sunset’s “Menus & Recipes for Vegetarian Cooking”.
- Potato-Leek Soup: I tried a new recipe and would not make it again.
- Strawberry Santa Hats: I tried this version. The strawberries were too large. My strawberry hats are not perfect but they tasted great.
- Roly-Poly Santa Cookies: This recipe is from Better Homes and Gardens. I have made this recipe several times. The dough is easy to work with, they are cute and taste great.
- Santa Name Cards: I scanned the image from a book, printed and cut it out. I created the names using the font, “Lucida Handwriting”. Then, I printed the names on a cream colored parchment paper and attached with tape.
- Paper Place Mats: This was my first time making paper place mats. I already had the paper and stickers. I used a cloth place mat as a pattern. I did not have red and white paper large enough so I used two sheets of red and white paper for each place mat. I was a little concerned about the lines but they were not very noticeable when in use. These were non-laminated paper place mats so I just used a little tape to hold them together. I expected to use them only one meal but since they were so nice, we also used them for a few non-themed meals.