Irish Heritage Card

Irish Heritage Card

For St. Patrick’s Day this year I made cards for my 2 nieces. Both cards are the same except for the recipients name. This one of course is Ella’s. I am not sure if the idea of a custom heritage card is unique. I refused to google it when I came up with the concept. I wanted my card to be original.

I can see many possibilities for heritage cards. This one shows emigration by ship from Ireland to the United States in 1936.

The family tree (far left of the card) shows the recipient at the bottom and each branch holds woman’s names. My card has the names of my niece’s Mother, Grandmother, Great Grandmother, Great-Great Grandmother, and Great-Great-Great Grandmother. I probably can go at least one more branch on the tree but I need to ask my relatives in Ireland and I did not have time to get an answer before I had to get this card in the mail.

Note: There is a lot of artistic freedom in the geography drawing on this card.

Update: My nieces are 8 and 10. After receiving these cards they had many questions about family history. I am glad that this card helped create a discussion about our family.

Linking to: The Creative HomeAcre Hop!

About these ads

This entry was posted in Crafts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Irish Heritage Card

Very, original, unique, and share some history as well. A Beautiful Card for great memory of the past, and into the future. Happy St Patrick’s Day, and a Blessed Weekend. Be Blessed, Mtetar

Great work.

3. gavmomof2 says:

I think it’s beautiful :) Family heritage is very important. They are going to love their cards!

4. kathysnest32 says:

This is very original. Your creativity never ceases to amaze me. Xx KAthleen

5. farmbeachgal says:

Hi, I’m Anne from Life on the Funny Farm (http://annesfunnyfarm.blogspot.com), and I’m visiting from the Creative Home Acre Blog Hop.

What a wonderful idea! So cute and clever, and I love that you included the family tree. I’m sure your nieces will love these!

Anyway, thanks for posting this. If you ever get a chance, stop over to my blog to say hi! Have a great day…

6. Lisa Lynn says:

That’s very cool! Your nieces are lucky to have these memories :) Thanks for sharing this on The Creative HomeAcre Hop! Hope to see your next project tomorrow at: