Dumplings Around the World

Menu-Dumplings-Around-World

On Christmas day my family feasted on dumplings from around the world. I came up with this idea because I wanted something fun and unusual for 5 adults celebrating Christmas day together. Each course was served 1 to 2 hours apart. I made menu cards for each person (pictured above). My husband came up with the idea of clinking glasses and wishing Merry Christmas in the language from each country. It was a lot of fun especially when he said, “Once more with feeling!”. For all of the people who wonder what vegetarians eat, take a look at this feast.

Note: If I did this again, I will plan beverages for each course. It could be fun to pair drinks from each country with each dumpling.

Gyoza

Gyoza

I made ahead and froze my own version of vegetarian gyoza. It was easy to pan fry them before serving. I used this dipping sauce but did not use the chili and reduced the amount of green onion.

Pierogi

Piergoi

We made Martha Stewart’s cabbage pierogi recipe (not the full recipe). We prepared them the day before and fried in butter before serving. We typically make them around Christmas each year. This year we served them with sour cream, apple sauce, and mustard.

Samosa

Samosa

We used this recipe from Willams-Sonoma. We made mango chutney (1/2 the recipe) and raita to serve with the samosas.

Calzone

Calzone

I made mini calzones with goat cheese and herb filling. We served with store bought fresh marinara sauce.

Apple Dumpling

Apple-Dumpling

We used this recipe for the apples and caramel sauce. We used leftover puffed pastry instead of the dumpling dough to make it easier at the end of a day of cooking and feasting.

About these ads

This entry was posted in Food, Party Planning and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Dumplings Around the World

1. brejniak says:

Great idea! Did you try other type of Pierogi? Good for vegetarians are also Ruskie Pierogi, insight bit are mashed potatoes with cottage (salty version).
    You can also put fresh fruits: strawberry, cherries, plums, blueberries. And on top pour sour cream (18%) mixed with sugar & vanilla sugar. Mmmmmmmm……. my favourite :)

• eclecticlamb says:

Thanks! I have tried potato and cheese and a cheese type my mother-in-law makes. Your ideas sound amazing! I want to try fresh fruit with sour cream, sugar and vanilla sugar on top.

• brejniak says:

I’m Pierogi country girl, haha :)
        When I make any type of Pierogi, for dough I use only flour, water and salt. My Granny add also egg or two, and her dough was more yellow and bit thicker.
        When you are making the fresh fruits one I suggest you to add bit of sugar in to. I mean, before you put for example strawberry to the “circle”, add first bit of sugar then strawberry and then seal the circle.
        I have to say that I’m fan of the left over circles, when I do too much dough or too less stuffing :) I boiled them with rest of pierogi. I just love it! The are fantastic when you fried them till crispy, brown…..best on oil (butter can be burn too quickly).
        I think that I will make pierogi tomorrow :)

• eclecticlamb says:

Everything you said sounds great! Thank you!!

2. brejniak says:

You can try also Pierogi with spinach. They are awesome too.

3. Luffy Moogan says:

what a fabulously imaginative idea! This and the bento boxes are just delightful!

What a nice way to start of the New Year. Wishing I was there to try some. Thanks for sharing. Be BLESSED, Mtetar

5. This is so creative! My son is vegan and I know what a struggle it can be to find recipes that are fun and that the entire family (including the non-vegetarians) can enjoy. Thanks for a wonderful idea!

6. kathysnest32 says:

Hi Kathy, been a while since we talked. I make pierogi every Christmas and Easter. I am polish and this is one of the very few traditions that they family keep up. Do you make any other polish, Ukraine, etc food? XX Kathy downunder

7. Hi! Just stopping by to say I really enjoyed following you and have nominated you for a Versatile Blogger Award. If you’re interested in accepting, pop by http://matchamochimoo.wordpress.com/2013/01/03/thanks-for-the-norminations for more details and follow the rules. If you don’t like it, don’t worry, just leave it, that’s fine! :) , I wish you a very happy 2013! :)

Such an interesting concept! Would love to toy with an idea like this the next time we host a dinner. Happy New Year!

Great post!

10. Mary Lee says:

I love dumplings – what a feast you had! How did your husband find the translations for Merry Christmas in each language? Smart phone? A fun idea.

11. I love the idea of a dumpling pot luck where everyone brings something that includes filling and a pastry. Yum.

12. rosekat08 says:

What a neat idea! Sounds like your family had a lot of fun this past Christmas